1. When pressed with your finger the flesh should be
firm and elastic. It should not feel soft and your finger should not
leave an indentation.
2. The eye should be clear and full not milky and sunken.
3. Gills should be bright red rather than muddy gray.
4. Fish should be free of any slime other than the slime-coat over the
5. There should be a fresh smell, not an unpleasant one.
6. Scales should lie flat and be bright and shiny.
In filet or steak form the flesh must have a clean-cut
appearance and a firm moist texture. There should be no leathery traces
of yellowing or browning around the edges.